Recently I had a chance to go to the Elephant’s Trunk Flea Market in New Milford, CT. It’s a great place to find that treasure you’ve been hunting for and it has recently been gaining a lot of popularity from the HGTV show Flea Market Flip. In fact when I arrived, I wasn’t surprised to see Lara Spencer and the crew filming on location that very morning. After a little distraction, my hunt began as my daughter and I worked our way through the aisles. When I go to a flea market I always like to have something in mind to keep me focused. So with my mental list I scan each vendor space and then move in on anything that catches my eye to take a closer look.
During this particular visit, I was thinking lawn art, signs and vintage fabric/linens. I ran across a few items of interest, but didn’t purchase anything until I saw this sign. It’s perfect for my outdoor patio bar and since the space is not well lit, it functions to improve lighting as well. Flea markets and antique shows like Brimfield Antique Show are a great place to find unique pieces to add to your decor or repurpose to suit your needs. So if you decide to venture out to a flea market in your area, keep these few tips in mind:
1. Wear comfortable shoes and clothing (layers are great).
2. Bring a bag and/or a cart to store your finds.
3. Have a mental list, at the very least, of what you’re looking for.
4. Stay hydrated.
5. Bring some cash and checks. (credit cards may be accepted but cash is good for bargaining)
6. Don’t be a bully on price, politely ask what is their best price, or offer your best price.
7. Arrive early for the best finds.
With these few tips, an open mind and a positive attitude your hunt for treasure is bound to be a success. Happy hunting!